Saturday, May 14, 2011

Time ticks by her one race at a time


Saturday, May 7th was Pie's 6th birthday and our Kentucky Derby Tree Seedling Planting Party.  The weather was strange - first sunny, then cloudy, next wickedly windy and then cold - in that order!  My family, friends and neighbors were true troupers, though, and kindly planted many of the 350 seedlings.  The horses were front and center for most of the festivities as you can see in the photos below.  I have uploaded more photos on a special page HEREThank you so much Melanie P. and Melanie B. for the superb photography!


Our sign out at the road.


Maizie and her friends served as tree planting helpers.  Here Austin is pointing out where to plant.


Maizie leads a group out to the fields.



Of course, Birthday Boy Pie and friend, Sovey, had to get some snacks from the tree planters!



Dappled Pie and Foggy grazing.


Two brothers grazing.


Our kind Apple-Barstool friends joined in the fun!


We planted Crabapple, White Pine, Shag Bark Hickory, Dogwood, and Hawthorne.  All are "horse safe".


We set up tables in the backyard.  This area used to be a swimming pool!  The pool was built circa 1959 and it collapsed in the 1990's. The view of the horses and pastures from here is perfect. Guests brought a dish to share and the food was fabulous.  


My Aunt Martha and her friend had this amazing cake made for our party!!!! Isn't it wonderful? She took the design from the top of my blog! I was so surprised!  It was delicious too - a vanilla and cinnamon spice cake. Yummy! Aunt Martha reads my blog and I am so glad she could share in our special day. She really knows the history of our farm - here is a photo of her walking out to this very pool (when it was still there) on July 4, 1966. 




Here's one of Maizie and her friends - the tree planting crew!


I brought Foggy up to the party and of course, the Birthday Boy, Pie, above, had to get some loving and treats too. I had groomed the horses perfectly, but Pie rolled and has mud above his eye!


Maizie organized a Kentucky Derby dollar pool.  Here she is with our friend, Greg, collecting money.  I think they look like two Bookies!


Our friend, Kathy, above, not only planted trees in her lovely Kentucky Derby skirt and hat, but she split the Derby pot with my father-in-law, Ernie, by picking Animal Kingdom to win. Congratulations to you two!  As usual, I couldn't watch the race, but I had fun grazing my boys while the race was running.


It was a great day. Thank you, everyone, for planting trees at Honeysuckle Faire!

Don't forget to see all the photos - CLICK HERE!

8 comments:

  1. Great pictures and a great thing to do.

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a wonderful time was had by all. I love the cake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely party!!! Beautiful pictures! The cake is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WHAT a cool event. :)Happy Birthday to Pie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you everyone for your earlier comments. Because of Blogger's outage, those comments went missing! At least my original post is back and I reloaded the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a clever event! Looks like everyone had a great time. Your horses look beautiful. And that cake looks so pretty. Vanilla and cinnamon spice sounds like a wonderful combination of flavors for a cake. Does Aunt Martha share her recipes? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Juliette, What a wonderful day it turned out to be! And how wonderful to get those trees planted! Your horses are beautiful and so friendly to your guests. Glad you got such a large turnout and everyone had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely LOVE this idea and it looks like it turned out even better than it sounds! I wish I lived closer, it looks like an incredible day. I can't believe how bug Maisie is getting, too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit Honeysuckle Faire!